Lectures, Papers and Other…
- Begins Perpignan and Málaga Series.
- April Illustrated lecture to the Topsham Arts Group on Nicholas' own work.
- Dec Requested by the Public Art Collection for copyright permission to reproduce his work in public places for inclusion in the National Public Catalogue.
- July Gave an Illustrated Lecture Colour from Music on his own work for the Budleigh Salterton Art & Music Festival by arrangement with the Brook Gallery, Budleigh Salterton, Devon U.K.
- March Gave an Illustrated Lecture for Evelyn Dewer, Higher Education Team Leader, Faculty of Arts & Design, University of Plymouth on his own work and career, for Arts Students at the Graduate Artists Destination Conference at the Phoenix Arts Centre, Exeter, U.K
- Sept Requested by the Headmaster of Broadclyst Primary School, Devon, U.K., to give a series of ten illustrated sessions on Art Appreciation.
- Aug Asked by the Curator of Fine Art, Gina Cox MA, University of Exeter, to take part in a live phone-in programme for BBC Radio on Anthony Gormley’s Plinth Sculpture in Trafalgar Square, London, UK
- May Invited to give a second lecture at Sherborne House, Dorset, U.K., on St Ives Artists. Also lectured on his own work, Perpignan to Rodrigo.
- Jan Lecture to WEA students, Contemporary British Art, followed up by trips and talks given in Tate Millbank and Tate Britain, London, UK
At the request of Exeter College, Exeter, Devon U.K., instructed students on Fast-Track Citizenship Course Arts Project.
- Sept Lectures for English Language Centre, University of Exeter.
- Sept Gave a series of lectures to WEA students followed by an all-day trip to St. Ives Tate.
- Nov Asked by the Head of the Faculty of Arts, University of Liège, to give a series of lectures on Contemporary British Art, including his own work, at the Arts Faculties of Brussels and Liège Universities. Academic year 1997/98. Association Belgie-Britannique arranged by Professor Pierre Michel/Eriks Uskalis, Liège and Luc Herman, President of the Belgian Association of Anglicists in Higher Education (BAAHE), Antwerp.
- July/Sept Directed a new optional course on Modern Art Contemporary British Art: from the Sixties to the Present Day for the 1997 International Summer School (The Academy for English Studies (London/Krefeld, Germany)
- May Programme/Video Link for British Telecommunications. Interview for The Independent – Radio 4 Education Matters.
- Sept Guest Lecturer at The Academy of English Studies (London), University of Exeter (A.E.S.)
- Aug Asked by the Sub-Dean, Faculty of Arts, University of Exeter, to put together and teach a Modern Art Course - a module for Testamur Students Degree.
- July At the request of the Education Department, Birmingham, and the Robin Hood Primary School: visited the school and gave a lecture on his own work. Film made for the Department of Education, University of Exeter. Covered by Solihull News. Sutton Coalfield News. Walsall Observer. Birmingham News. Excerpts for Radio 4 programme Woman’s Hour. Shown on Channel 4 (T.V.)
- July Via University of Exeter Education Department and Robin Hood Primary School, did a programme video-link for Radio 4 You and Yours.
- July University Radio Exeter (URE): talk and interview with the artist Alan Cotton Colour on Campus (sponsored by The Guardian).
- July Student Dissertation on his work in conjunction with the University of Plymouth (Department of Art and Design).
- Mar Guest Lecturer at University of Liège, Faculté de Philosophie et Lettres, Département de Langues et Littératures Germaniques, Belgium. Invited by Professor Pierre Michel to lecture on Modern Art and Artists - His Own Work in relation to the British Art Scene. Sponsored by Association Belgo-Britannique.
- Feb Lecture to Overseas Students, The Importance of Colour in Art. University of Exeter, English Language Centre, in the Moot Room, Amory Building.
- Jan Taunton Society of Artists. Illustrated lecture, The Portrait - Style and Technique.
- Dec Gave the first in a series of video conferencing/lectures to the Robin Hood Grammar School, Birmingham. Teaching video film produced for W.W.W. programme, What Makes You Paint Abstract? Sponsors, International Computers Limited (ICL) and British Telecom (BT). Interviewed by Radio 4 for Programme You and Yours.
- Nov Lecture to Testamur Students, University of Exeter, Interpreting Modern Art.
- Sept Lecture to the English Language Department for Overseas Students on Modern British Art.
- Sept Student Dissertation on his work, Exeter College.
- Aug Judged and opened the Tiverton Art Society Summer Exhibition.
- June Illustrated lecture for the English Language Department, University of Exeter, Introduction to St. Ives - paintings, pottery and sculpture.
- May Weekend Workshop at the East Devon College of Further Education - Figure in Landscape: Representational to Abstract.
- April Lecture Visit to Jagiellonian University, Krakow: gave a series of lectures - Contemporary British Painting and Sculpture: the Artist in Contemporary British Society. Sponsored by the British Council Warsaw, Poland.
- April Lectured at Liceum Ogólnoksztatcace im SW. Rodziny.
- April Lectured at Fundacja Nauczycielskiego Kolegium Jezykow Obcych.
- Oct Lecture to overseas students on Understanding British Contemporary Painting for the English Language Centre, University of Exeter.
- Sept Series of six illustrated seminars (W.E.A.) At Exeter Arts Centre, U.K. British Art: the last 40 years.
- May Honiton Festival, Honiton, U.K.: lecture at Honiton Community College.
- April Sponsored by British Council, Warsaw, Poland, to give programme of lectures on British contemporary art including his own work in Jageillonian University, Krakow.
- April As Opening Guest Lecturer, gave an illustrated paper Reading the Cultural Image: Constable to Cragg at the first conference on Culture and Literature in Foreign Language Teaching Training at Polanczyk, Poland.
- April Lecture at Liceum Ogólnoksztatcace Nr 12 W Krakow, Nr 18 W Krakow.
- April Lecture given at Foreign Language Teaching Training College, Ul. Slawkowska 14. Krakow, Poland.
- April Seminar at Prywatna Szkola Podstawowa ‘Dona’ Krakow, Poland.
- Université de Valenciennes et Hainaut Cambresse, France: invited to exhibit and lecture; declined due to previous lecture and exhibition commitments.
- Jageillonian University, Krakow, Poland: series of lectures on contemporary British painting and sculpture; second visit to finalise arrangements for 1994 lecture tour for British Council, Warsaw, Poland.
- Resigned as tutor at OCA and as Deputy Director of University of Exeter International Summer School to concentrate more on his own painting and overseas commitments.
- University of Exeter, UK: lecture on Pop Art for English as Foreign Language Unit.
- Institut Provincial de Promotion Sociale, Liège, Belgium: lecture entitled Pop Art and its Music.
- OCA, Exeter, UK: public lecture entitled Wot’s British about British Pop Art?
- University of Plymouth, Exeter, U.K.: lecture for OCA, Language of Painting.
- WEA, Totnes, U.K.: ten illustrated lectures entitled The Idea, The Artist, The Image.
- OCA, Exeter, U.K.: illustrated all-day lecture entitled Explaining the Image.
- University of Exeter, U.K.: Day School for Department of Continuing and Adult Education, Truro, entitled Is British Pop Art British?
- Polytechnic South West, Exeter, U.K.: lecture entitled Pop Art - American Influence - Its Music.
- Television South West, Plymouth, U.K.: Forum on the Arts. Panel included Rt. Hon. Richard Luce (Minister for the Arts), Rt. Hon. Kenneth Baker and Dame Janet Fookes.
- WEA, Totnes, U.K.: ten illustrated lectures entitled British Art Since World War II.
- Open College for the Arts (OCA), Exeter College and University of Exeter, U.K.: tutor (1990-93, then external assessor) for 30-session course Techniques of Painting.
- At the request of the University of Exeter Registrar, visited Spain, France, Belgium and Germany giving illustrated lectures to publicise International Summer School.
- University of Exeter, U.K.: illustrated lecture for Department of Continuing and Adult Education, Plymouth, on his own work.
- Became part-time tutor for Workers’ Education Association (WEA)
- University of Exeter, U.K.: Day School for Department of Continuing and Adult Education, Truro: What is Modern Art?
- WEA, Chagford, Exeter, U.K.: series of ten lectures entitled Explaining Modern Art.
- Joined the South West Arts Lecture Service, UK.
- Université de Strasbourg, France: paper entitled The British Image at colloquium on Les Modèles Culturels et leur Reproduction.
- Université de Strasbourg, France: lectures on his own work.
- Appointed Deputy Director of the International Summer School for Overseas Students by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Head of the School of Modern Languages, Dr John McKenzie.